Principal Software Engineer
We are a fast-growing independent marketing technology agency based in London and New York. We’re on a mission to combine technology and creativity to solve brands’ problems.
We bring together expertise in data, technology, content, and paid-media to drive revenue for brands. Our clients include Spotify, Google, Facebook, Nike, Waze, Just Eat, ASOS, Pret A Manger and adidas.
We’re looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join the mission.
Byte is looking for an experienced and a commercially astute Principal Software Engineer to join the London team. The successful candidate will be growth focussed with experience in the practical application of new technologies, capable of leading the engineering team and developing a good working relationship with the head of product development. You will be working with the head of product development, the director of technology and the co-founders, supported by the engineering team.
- Contribute to London growth strategies, as a member of the senior leadership
- Assess new business and growth opportunities (products, projectware, new industries, new technologies initially voice, automation and chatbots)
- Design, build and maintain Node.js based applications (typescript backend)
- Work with the technical leadership to future-proof the team against skills deficits
- Line manage engineers, including setting goals
- Delegate tasks and projects to staff with clear tasks and expected results
- Support recruiting activities by drafting job specifications for senior roles, reviewing candidate CVs and profiles, interviewing candidates
- Enforce and incentivise security across the office
- Complete vendor assessment questionnaires
- Own and complete technical specification documents, act as escalation and mediation point for tech delivery challenges
- Work with conversation designers to implement Facebook Messenger chatbots (and other messaging platforms)
- Maintain the health of production systems
- Work with other teams to think up new tools and ways to improve business efficiency
- Investigate emerging technologies
- Work alongside other members of the team to spread knowledge and ideas (e.g. pairing)
Required skills & experience
- Experience leading small engineering teams
- Min 3 years of managerial experience
- Previous experience of playing active and decisive part of a senior leadership team (e.g.board, internal committees)
- Platform development and integration (bespoke and package)
- API development / integration
- Best practice engineering standards and processes
- REST Web services & API Technology
- SQL (e.g. Postgres)
- Cloud Services (e.g. Amazon AWS, MS Azure, Google Cloud, IBM Bluemix)
Nice to have:
- A functional programming language (e.g. Elm, Purescript)
- Unix/Linux systems administration
- Machine learning (e.g. Tensor Flow)
- Natural language recognition (e.g. API.AI, IBM Watson)
- Commercial acumen and ability to grow businesses
To complement the team dynamic:
- Sense of humour
- A proactive, self-starting approach
- Easily bored and curious
- No ego
- Positive mental attitude
- Professional, reliable and dependable
- Adaptable and thrives with variety and change
- Calm and patient under pressure
We can offer a degree of responsibility and flexibility that’s hard to find in a role any place else.
You will become an integral member of our team, and you will gain experience you wouldn’t get at a big corporate agency. You’ll be encouraged to follow your passions. You’ll be supported when you want to try something new.
You’ll be working directly with founders who are well-known in their industry, who are experienced innovators and who understand how important it is for you to grow and learn.
You’ll get 25 paid holidays, breakfast, booze, and day off on your birthday.
Most of all, you’ll help create the company you want to work for.